DISCOVERY by Jellybooks
new online look-inside feature for the book trade
The Jellybooks DISCOVERY platform offers publishers the ability to improve book discovery by providing bookshops with online book excerpts and audiobook snippets as web modals and links that rival and exceed Amazon’s look-inside feature.
Publishers can use the tool on their own product pages and in their email and social media marketing as well to improve the customer journey from discovery to purchase.
The samples can be dynamically tailored to the needs of each bookshop, retailer, publisher or partner and can have purchase paths (buy buttons) unique to each.
The platform was developed by Jellybooks in partnership with UK bookshop chain Blackwell’s and with financial support by the UK government through Innovate UK, the UK’s Innovation agency. The goal is to support independent and chain bookshops, strengthen the UK high street, and create a more diverse ecosystem for book buying by providing all bookshops with best-in class digital tools for merchandising books.
The service supports books across a range of formats including narrative, illustrated and audio titles. It has been designed with accessibility in mind to ensure no reader is left behind.
The service is easy to use, organic and a proven way of boosting sales for publishers.
- DISCOVERY Features and Benefits
- DISCOVERY User Guide and Technical Specifications
- DISCOVERY Pricing
- DISCOVEY Frequently Asked Questions
Top Ten Benefits and Features of the Jellybooks DISCOVERY platform for book publishers
- Boost Your Book Sales
Product pages with book samples, excerpts or snippets that give readers more information and the option to look inside the book can help drive the purchase decision and lead to higher sales than those without.
- Support a Diverse Retail Ecosystem
DISCOVERY provides a best-in-class digital service for local, regional and national booksellers providing access to digital samples for online marketing and web pages, with a look-inside and in-store QR-code functionality.
- Improved Visibility across Trade Channels
Improve visibility and discoverability of your titles at independent and chain retailers such as Blackwell’s and gain insights into the user journey.
- Ideal for Publisher Marketing and Direct to Consumer Campaigns
DISCOVERY is an ideal tool to include in consumer marketing and direct to consumer campaigns. Engage readers more deeply on your website or product pages and use in your email and social media campaigns. All samples have customisable buy buttons pre-populated with links to participating retailers.
- Better Author Support
DISCOVERY is easy to use and can be employed by authors to engage their followers with previews on homepages, blogs and as part of their social media outreach. Instead of repeatedly prompting readers to “buy my book”, they can nudge followers into sampling the book with a buy button to all major retailers discreetly positioned at the end of the sample.
- Drive Pre-orders and Promote Advance Purchases
DISCOVERY can support advance purchases and pre-orders by using samples to tempt and hook readers.
- Multi Format
The platform supports multiple formats including narrative, illustrated and audio titles using industry standard content formats: ePUB, ePUB FXL and MP3.
- Easy-to use and accessible
DISCOVERY is based on the Jellybooks Cloud Reader, which offers one-click-and-read access to books. Built for speed, it is designed for exploring content with ease.
- Affordable and Excellent ROI
With prices starting from as low as two pounds per title, publishers can afford to use the DISCOVERY service for their entire front and backlist. You just need to sell one or two extra copies of a title each year to generate a return on investment (ROI).
- Cross-industry Solution
DISCOVERY is a national solution to address the needs of both publishers and retailers.
Features and Benefits of the DISCOVERY Service
Reader Features and Benefits
- Try before you buy – consumers can explore content before making a purchase.
- One-click access to sample chapters, excerpts and snippets.
- Instant and personal access, similar to playing a YouTube video, where play starts instantly with no files to download, no app to install, and no registration required.
- All the accessibility and user benefits of ePUB including variable fonts and night/day mode, without the drawbacks of static PDF and HTML based excerpts and snippets.
- Browser-based reading system leveraging the Jellybooks Cloud Reader.
- Accessible on any browser-enabled device such as smartphones, tablets, PCs, lap-tops, Internet kiosks, and similar.
- Supports narrative books (re-flowable ePUB), illustrated books (fixed layout ePUB) and audiobooks (MP3).
Marketing Benefits of Jellybooks DISCOVERY for Publishers
- Samples, excerpts and snippets boost book sales.
- Improve sales of key titles across participating retailers, both in-store and online.
- Support a diverse retail ecosystem.
- Improve discoverability and demand on your own product pages and across your email and social media marketing efforts.
Workflow Benefits for Publishers
- A single platform to deploy in-house and through retail channels
- Cloud-based interface supporting remote working
- API-based content ingestion both direct and via digital asset distributors (Ingram Coresource and others) for large- and medium-sized publishers and a simple, easy-to-upload portal for small and micro publishers
- An easy-to-use tool for authors to use in their own social media and direct-to-reader activities
- Versatile: Marketing needs a sample urgently for that hot new release to be published in a few months? No problem! They can use the simple and intuitive dashboard for uploading the word document and enter the meta-data while their colleagues in production submit files via the bulk API. Jellybooks will automatically update early galleys with final production versions.
Cost Benefits for Publishers
- A combined solution for in-house and external use
- Affordable with prices from two to ten pounds per file, depending on tier.
- Highly flexible - use for your entire front-and back-catalogue or just a selection of your lead titles
- Requires only a small number of incremental sales per year to generate a return-on-investment (ROI)
- No long-term lock-in, flexible agreements based on quarterly or annual contracts
- Free use for qualifying publishers until 30 June 2021 or 31 December 2021
Environmental Benefits for Publishers
- Eliminate the waste of printing and distributing physical excerpts.
Audience Insight Benefits for Publishers
- Track how often samples are being viewed, as well as reader engagement with those samples.
- Check the sampling frequency and conversion effectiveness of your titles.
DISCOVERY User Guide and Technical Specifications
Setting-up an Account
To use the service, Jellybooks will create a VIP account for you and send you a VIP invite. By accepting this VIP invite, you accept the terms and conditions of Jellybooks and gain access to the “Candy” section of the Jellybooks site through the © icon in the navigation menu. You can submit assets via the Candy section, as well as access links, approve requests and view data and analytics.
Submission of Content
Content can be submitted (in small volumes) via the Candy dashboard. This is the ideal path for publishers with only handful of titles with a small number of updates.
For larger volumes you can choose to either send us your files and ONIX feed through a digital asset distributor (DAD) such as Ingram Coresource, Faber Factory, Gardner’s, Versa Bookwire or similar.
Alternatively you are also welcome to use our Jellybooks API for submitting content (the same API used by DADs). We will be happy to provide you with API keys on request.
The Jellybooks DISCOVERY service supports narrative books, illustrated books and audiobooks.
Narrative books need to be submitted as ePUB 3 files.
Illustrated books should be uploaded in ePUB 3 fixed layout (FXL) format. PDF files cannot be accepted.
Audiobooks should be submitted as MP3 files with each chapter a separate file.
Graphic novels are not yet supported, but we are considering adding support for graphic novels in the DiViNa format. Please contact us, if interested.
In addition to the ebook file, we require a high-resolution version of the book cover, details of the title, author and imprint, Thema codes (Genre), as well as the ISBN and publication date (pub date), plus any territorial restrictions if applicable.
For bulk submission we accept ONIX 3.0 feeds either from publishers directly or from third party digital asset distributors (DAD).
Readers can sample, read or listen to excerpts and snippets anonymously. We use a randomly generated session id to enable the recording of user’s (anonymous) reading data whilst ensuring the integrity of reading sessions and associated reading data. For more detail, see our privacy and data processing policies.
As part of our “read later” feature, readers have the option to register or sign-in to add a sample, to their cloud reader. This allows readers to store and retrieve samples across retailers and publishers providing readers with a single repository of all the books they have been sampling (their personal cloud library).
The Jellybooks Cloud Reader was built with accessibility in mind and we continuously improve and enhance our reading experience for all readers, whether they are fully able, dyslexic, have a motor impairment, atypical colour perception (“colour blind”), reduced eyesight (older readers), are partially sighted or even fully blind. We aim to ensure that no reader or reviewer is left out and adhere wherever possible to WCAG/WAI-ARIA guidance. For more details see our pages on the Jellybooks Cloud Reader.
Note that from June 2025 digital services and products in the EU need to be fully accessible and comply with relevant EU directives. Other countries have different timelines with regards to the implementation of the Marrakesh Treaty.
Jellybooks DISCOVERY Pricing
Try out the new Jellybooks DISCOVERY service for free with an initial 10 titles. This offer is available to all publishers, who are PA, IPG or ALPSP members.
Jellybooks also offers special plans and pricing for publishers and imprints primarily supporting diverse voices that are under-represented in traditional book publishing. Please contact us for more details, if you are interested in this offer.
|Annual Allowance||Annual Fee||Cost per book|
|up to 25 samples||£250||£10|
|up to 50 samples||£450||£9|
|up to 100 samples||£800||£8|
|up to 250 samples||£1,750||£7|
|up to 500 samples||£3,000||£6|
|up to 1,000 samples||£5,000||£5|
|up to 2,500 samples||£10,000||£4|
|up to 5,000 samples||£15,000||£3|
|up to 10,000 samples||£20,000||£2|
A sample is defined as an extract developed from a narrative, illustrated or audio title with sample chapters representing the first 10% by word count in narrative books, page count in illustrated books or playback duration in audiobooks.
Pricing is per unique sample, not ISBN, with each format requiring its own sample. If hard-back and paperback are represented by the same sample, then that counts as a single al-lowance unit. The unit of account is the file being shortened into a sample.
The indicative cost per book assumes the full capacity is used and represents the lowest cost per sample achievable under the respective plan.
Samples are charged at £25 per unit if a plan is exceeded without the publisher having up-graded the plan (out-of-plan charge). Pricing is per annum, with payment due in full 30 days after plan commencement date. Custom plans and quarterly billing is available for plans in excess of 1,000 samples.
All prices are exclusive of UK VAT (Jellybooks VAT registration number is GB-128-7769-67).
FAQ – Frequently asked questions about the DISCOVERY service
How do allowances work?
Allowances are for one year from the start date of the contract until the next annual renewal date. Publishers can upload and submit files up to their allowance limit. If a publisher exceeds their allowance, they will be charged a fee of £25 per file for exceeding their allowance unless they upgrade to a higher plan.
If a publisher upgrades to a higher plan mid-quarter, a supplementary bill will be generated for the price difference on a pro-rata basis reflecting the remaining period in the quarter. The contract will then renew, unless cancelled, at the higher allowance.
How do territorial restrictions work?
Publishers can set territorial restriction for sample availability where appropriate.
These territorial restrictions can either be submitted as part of your ONIX feed or by configuring availability in the Jellybooks Candy dashboard.
Territorial restrictions are enforced based on the IP address of the user’s device. If the user, as identified by accessing IP address, is located outside the territory in which the book is available, access is blocked. This also applies to users who travel from a country where the book is accessible to one where it is not accessible.
Free use until 30 June or 31 December 2021 for selected publishers courtesy of Innovate UK and Arts Council England.