Web Software Engineer/JS Developer
Help us build the future of reading and better support the creative industries!
Two years ago, our multi-national team created the Jellybooks Cloud Reader. Since then we have worked with publishers and book shops across Europe to bring simple, one-click, file-free reading to readers across the world.
The new team member will help us take the Jellybooks Cloud Reader to the next level and release a new major version built on top of a shared architecture. Some work will also be contributed back to Readium Web, an open source project whose goal is to provide a toolkit for building cloud reading apps. If time allows, you may also participate to its Content Protection specification.
A major initiative we are currently working on is to equip bookshops and publishers with digital tools that help readers discover and explore new books.
Jellybooks also works on open access (OA) challenges for textbooks, early testing and reviews of newly published titles, marketing and retail challenges in bookselling and much more. We have a passion for using data to create better experiences for readers.
This is a fixed term contract (FTC) for a duration of two to three months (may be extended).
Required skills and capabilities
- Experience with TypeScript.
- Ability to undertake the refactoring of a web app based on a shared architecture.
- Ability to design APIs that can be used by others in similar apps (shared models).
- Understanding of the DOM and its standard APIs.
- Passion for web performance.
- Knowledge of source code management, preferably git & Github.
- Good communication skills to ease open source software contributions.
- Passion for books & reading.
We don’t expect the candidate to cover all of the below, but we do expect mastery of at least two of these areas:
- Five to ten years coding experience.
- Prior experience with refactoring web apps or implementing an existing specification highly desirable.
- Prior experience with designing module/library APIs.
- Experience with performance improvements.
- Experience with automated testing.
Please send your CV and a brief note why you are a good match for the position to [email protected] Kindly include links to previous work (Github, links to products you helped develop, etc.), as well. Also please let us know what your availability might be - the sooner, the better.
- Readium Architecture: https://readium.org/architecture/
- Readium Web Content Protection: https://github.com/readium/web/blob/master/docs/protection/introduction.md
- Code sample for cloud reader: https://github.com/edrlab/webpub-viewer
- Code sample for shared models: https://github.com/Jellybooks/web
Jellybooks Cloud Reader Examples
- My Sister the Serial, Killer
- Bread, Cement, Cactus: A Memoir of Belonging and Dislocation
- Female Husbands – a Trans History
- Tudor Power and Glory: Henry VIII and the Field of Cloth of Gold
- The Everest Files
Principals only. No recruiters please. We will not respond to agency or recruiter pitches.
This position is supported by public funding from Innovate UK and Arts Council England.